Thursday, September 16, 2010

Vivid

trees on the street
clear
Tokyo
Again
Frack
A great bookstore in Surry Hills
...
55
Vivid is the word I learned this week.
I think there is not one day at which I am not picking up new words or expressions -- and here in Australia especially shortenings of words.
'Brekky' for breakfast, 'barbie' for BBQ or 'telly' for TV I think is something you could guess but 'ambo' for ambulance, 'salvo' for Salvation Army or 'ta' for thanks create sometimes a bit of a confused glance on my face ... :)

It was a really nice Spring day today. I was out for a walk...felt the sun on my face, saw many shadows, stumbled over the amazing shelf/life store in Surry Hills and saw a hairdresser I could imagine going to when I need to ...

#1 Trees on the street
#2 House in the sky
#3 Tokyo Bike
#4 Again I know ;)
#5 A great facade of a house in Surry Hills
#6 '52 Frack'
#7 I passed this really great arts book store...they have such a great assortment of books. I saw a Japanese book about Nordic design with the most beautiful images. I am thinking of getting it...such a pity that I can't read it.
#8 Some sun and turquoise
#9 '55'

How was your week so far...?

20 comments :

fast times in münchen. said...

mozzie, cossie, boardies, rashie...can you tell im thinking about summer?! are there equivalents in german? as per usual, love your photos x

Kathrine said...

hey maria, deine fotos (speziell von der letzten woche) sind sehr schön! sieht fast ein bischen herbstlich aus (das licht). im vorherigen post hast du einen grauen mantel an, verrätst du, wo du ihn gekauft hast? viele liebe grüße, kathrine

Anonymous said...

Hallo Kathrine, das freut mich, dass dir die Bilder gefallen...der Mantel ist von H&M vom letzten Jahr...

amy said...

haha, i guess we do like to shorten our words a lot. arvo's another one. :)

Bárbara said...

oh this looks like a lovely place

Anna Emilia said...

Dear Maria,

It looks very good your spring.

Here, the week was pretty rainy, a good half-a-week on the sofa writing things down, a bit of painting too (but that I did by the table). A lot of bicycling a lot of tea. Many phone calls. More yellow leaves than anything else. They look pretty while the days are getting very dark earlier, the sun is moving to you (:

jana said...

vivid ist ein schönes wort.
ich habe diese woche wieder mit der uni angefangen. aber es ist das letzte "richtige" jahr (vor dem endprojekt), und viel ruhiger. wenige kurse, auf die ich mich konzentrieren kann. trotzdem muss ich mich nach dem langen sommer erstmal wieder eingewöhnen.
der buchladen sieht schon von weitem gut aus...ich glaube ich werde mir zum semesterbeginn dieses wochenende auch ein buch oder zwei gönnen.

Maggie said...

So pretty--looks like some lovely walking. It's really fun to watch the light in your pictures get more and more Spring-like, as I buckle down and get out my Autumn sweaters here in Seattle! I'm glad you are enjoying your new home.

hiki said...

Oh I LOVE this set!!!!Especially the fourth photo, the one of the tiles with shadows of the tree - it's beautiful!!!!!
Autumn shadows and lights in the afternoon are so lovely.

jasmin said...

'cuppa' for a cup of tea. 'Sanga' for sandwich. 'sheila' for a woman.
so funny.
we do use these words all the time and there are so much more.
if you drop them into a conversation ('convo') every 'ozzie' will understand. They will think you're a 'hoot' -which means funny or good time.
'ta ta' or 'too roo' (goodbye)

size too small said...

these pictures confirm my love of cities!

Marion said...

love the tokyo bike picture ! a lot !

stephanie renee said...

lovely, i am in need of some sun this weekend!

Melanie said...

hahahaha it's so true australians do shorten words. i love your observations.

MANDY said...

Oh I love "Published Art" and that house "No.5" is so great ...and I don't think you can ever see too many Surry Hills tiles ..... Really great post !!!

Journal de jours said...

I just want to tell you that I really love love love your blog, and your way of looking at things. I keep on following !

melski said...

Vivid - such a great word! Hope your week is off to a great start :)

kristina - no penny for them said...

quite beautiful to see your new hometown through your lens. love the tiles and that bookshop!

claire said...

one of my favourites is smoko. who doesn't love a cuppa and a bickie at smoko ? :)

jenna said...

oh wow maria, a japanese book about nordic design? that sounds like two things that were meant to be. wonderful photos, i hope australia is treating you well. xo.